Friday 5 August 2016

recent tv favourites (aka tv, cartoon + anime recommendations!)

Since I'm on the super long holiday between year 11 and 12 right now I have had a lot of time to watch a lot of TV and YouTube. I was originally just going to do a general current favourites video but realised I had so many TV shows I wanted to recommend that I wanted to dedicate an entire blog post to it!

My list of TV shows to watch is still massive and ever growing with all the amazing shows I'm discovering and are currently coming out (I really need to watch this Stranger Things everyone is on about) so I may do more posts like this because I just really like watching TV.

I'm going to do this in 3 sections: anime, cartoons and general TV which is just anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Without further ado, let's go!

General TV

Veep
- This is a show me and my brother recently finished (he'd already seen it but rewatched it with me). It's basically a comedy show about the Vice President. It's described as "American political satire comedy" and I'd say that sums it up pretty well. I just love everything about this show! The characters were just amazing I found myself loving them all, even the ones I hated (*cough* Jonah *cough*) and it was just so funny that I found myself laughing out loud quite a lot. There's currently 5 seasons out and I am VERY excited for season 6!

RuPaul's Drag Race - I actually started watching this when I was doing my exams. I planned to have it as just a background show but I just got so caught up in it that I had to stop myself from watching it until my exams had finished! It's essentially a competition show to "discover America's next drag superstar" and there's just so much drama and bitchyness and fabulousness that I just can't tear myself away! I just finished season 5 (I am SO happy with who won I just love her so much) and am excited to start the next season!

Orange is the New Black - I watched season 4 when it came out and it is just so good. I'm not gonna dwell on it too much because you've probably heard of it by now but it's basically just a women's prison show that makes me feel all the different emotions within the space of 5 minutes. This show will be the death of my I stg.

Also some random recommendations that don't really fit with the others but I still really enjoy watching are Dragon's Den and Eat Well For Less? so if you're looking for something random to watch on BBC I'd definitely recommend these!

Cartoons

(I have completely fallen in love with cartoons recently and I really need to reiterate how not "just for kids" so many of them are. They're amazing.)

Bob's Burgers - Okay this is definitely one I wouldn't show my kids! It's just a funny cartoon about this family that runs a burger shop and I'm really not sure what to say about it! I binge watched all 6 seasons and my life just felt so empty once I'd finished it. I love every. single. one of the characters and want the best for all of them. You may have seen some Tina quotes around Tumblr already because I know that's what introduced me to the show in the first place!

Gravity Falls - Honestly I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared to talk about this show. I watched it when it first came out in 2012 and got completely obsessed with all the mysteries then but wanted to wait until all of season 2 had come out to watch it. Then I was convinced I had to get my brother addicted too (which I succeeded with) and we watched the entire thing together very quickly. I couldn't tell you how much I cried in the last episode. WHY DID IT HAVE TO END! I want more adventures with these characters that I am ridiculously attached to and more mysteries and secret codes and little things to spot in the background and seriously I just cannot recommend this show highly enough if I tried. It was just an incredible rollercoaster.

(Also I ended up downstairs whilst my brother was watching the last episode of Bojack Horseman and even though I now know the season 3 ending I just need to watch it. It has gone straight to the top of my list.)

Edit: It's August 9th and I just realised that I somehow COMPLETELY forgot Rick and Morty! That show was just incredible. Hilarious but still leaving me on the edge of my seat at times! And that season 2 ending I just can't I need season 3 right now seriously that was some emotional pain they put us through. Also I just really love everything Dan Harmon does. He's amazing.

Anime

Attack On Titan
- cards on the table I actually watched this in like March but it's still completely taking over my life so I'm still going to mention it. As soon as I finished it I had to read the manga because I just physically couldn't handle not knowing what happened next! It's currently the time of month where the new chapter is going to be released soon and there are loads of spoilers about but I'm trying so hard to avoid them and it's very difficult because I just NEED to know what happens next! If you're not big on blood and gore and stuff I would not recommend this show but if you're fine with that then I would 1000% recommend. I am so excited for season 2 even though I know what happens because of the manga. This series has put me through endless amounts of pain and I still love it so if that doesn't say something good I don't know what will!

No Game No Life - I like to describe this as "if Sword Art Online took itself less seriously". It's about these two young people who are obsessed with video games and are incredible at them and get transported to a world where everything is decided by playing games. I think it's absolutely hilarious and I love the characters too! (Wouldn't recommend watching it with your grandma though. Or anyone, really.) Also the animation is just gorgeous. I gave in and upgraded to Crunchyroll Premium and I swear everything just looks so incredible.

Cute High Earth Defence Club LOVE! - This anime is plain ridiculous and I adore it. I am so in love with all the characters and the silly story. It's basically a parody (I've seen some reviews where honestly I think people may have taken it too seriously) magical girl anime where these 5 boys are made to join this club where they have to defeat evil people and fill the world with love I guess? That was a terrible overview but honestly I love it so much and think it's hilarious. Also shit went DOWN in the last 2 episodes of season 1 I seriously somehow did not see that coming!

Food Wars - I'm a vegetarian and all the food in this show still looks delicious. There's somehow something so dramatic and tense about cooking competitions in this cooking school with these strange and silly characters and I really don't get what makes me love it so much but really it keeps me on the edge of my seat and wanting to watch more!

Ouran High School Host Club - I do not get how you couldn't love this anime. The characters are just all so charming and adorable and lovable and I laugh out loud every single episode because they just get involved in all these ridiculous shenanigans. I'm so in love with every single member of the host club that even if the whole show was them sat there doing nothing I'd probably still watch and adore it.

(Cheeky plug time: here's my MyAnimeList profile so you can stalk the anime I'm watching and enjoying ;))


This ended up being a REALLY long blog post but I hope you enjoyed me rambling about TV shows anyways (if you even read it all that is)! I obviously 100% recommend everything mentioned here so if you see something you haven't watched before maybe give it a go! I'm not the best at giving overviews and describing things so even if they didn't sound great by my explanations I can promise you I loved each and every one of them with my entire being!

Goodbye

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment