Wednesday 24 August 2016

pre-GCSE result nerves

If you've been on twitter at all today you'll probably know that across the country, we're getting our GCSE results tomorrow. And if you look through the hashtag you'll see just how nervous everyone is.

Honestly, I've been kind of excited up until just now when I've suddenly become very nervous and scared for the results. Especially after hearing that the maths grade boundaries are high because I'm not amazing at maths.

One thing I do want to talk about is that not everyone is going to be expecting the same grades as you. I see tweets like "if anyone complains about getting an A instead of an A* tomorrow I will scream" but that's by your standards. Honestly there are some lessons that I will be quite disappointed if I don't get an A* because it's what I've been getting regularly throughout my two years of doing them at GCSE level and want to take them at A-Level (not that you need A*'s to do them at A-Level I'd just like those grades for myself). And I know some people will be overjoyed tomorrow if they get A's (trust me I will too) and I'm not trying to take anything away from you by wanting to have got a higher grade because I know that everyone works differently and at different levels naturally, I just have a few quite high expectations of myself.

I know friends who are expecting higher grades than I am and I also know they're not trying to take anything away from me by wanting these higher grades. They're just better at maths and science than I am. They'll likely be upset with B's in maths whilst I'll probably cry with joy if I get a B in maths. And that's not them looking down on me for my grades it's just that we work at different levels.

It kind of pisses me off honestly because of course someone is going to get a higher grade than you at something and it's not a reflection of you, it's a reflection of them. And if anyone looks down at you for your grades then fuck them honestly. Hold yourself to your own standards and if you're proud of yourself then fuck what anyone else thinks.

I'm not sure if this has made much sense but please let people be happy/sad for their results no matter how you would feel if you got those grades because at the end of the day they are their grades and their expectations and a B to you probably doesn't mean the same as a B to the person next to you.

But at the same time please do remember that there are other paths you can take no matter what you see when you open that envelope tomorrow. You can do college courses and apprenticeships and even some A-Levels no matter what you get. There is something for you, I promise. It's not just going to A-Levels then off to University for everyone, as much as school does seem to make you think that it's the only path. As long as you did as well as you could at that moment in time with the resources you had then, in my eyes, that is the most important thing.

And yeah, I'll be disappointed with a B in Media Studies/Business Studies tomorrow but that doesn't take away the fact that I worked my butt off and I know I did fucking everything I could. I tried and what else can I do?

So tonight, I know it's easier said than done but please try to distract yourself. Watch your favourite movie/show. Listen to some music. Take a bath. Eat your favourite food. Read. Draw. Scroll through Tumblr. Do whatever. Just relax yourself and I'd definitely try to avoid the hashtag on twitter because seeing other people be nervous will only make you more nervous.

And if your school is like mine and gets an ice-cream van each results day where you can get free ice-cream then call it "free ice-cream day" and not "results day" because I can assure you that's what I've been doing.

Also don't forget that it is okay to be happy and proud of your results. Just because the people around you may be upset with what they got, that shouldn't take away from your happiness. Don't be afraid to be a little selfish tomorrow.

I wish you the best of luck and remember that you are a human being with so much potential and value beyond the piece of paper you'll receive tomorrow.

Goodbye

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment